Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dissection on carotid artery
DENTFORD posted:
My son was on an exercise machine 4 weeks ago when he had a dissection on the right artery . It caused him to have a severe stroke. He is now in rehab. Does the dissection heal itself?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear about your son. First, there is no way to predict that such an injury will happen and there was nothing he could have done to prevent this. Unfortunately, it just happens.

I presume he was treated with medication like a blood thinner. The dissection usually "heals" itself and the artery reopens. It is only in rare cases that surgery is considered. The important thing is that he gets all the rehab he needs. Hopefully he is in a true inpatient rehabilitation hospital. Make sure he is not discharged too early. You or someone in the family should be in close contact with the insurance case manager who will determine what type of benefits he has for both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. Some policies have limits and you will want to appeal anything that shortens his rehabilitation. Become very actively involved in his rehabilitation and find out what you may need to do ahead of time to modify his home and car.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.