Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
intracerebral hemorrhagic stroke
nask84 posted:
Hello, my dad just had an intracerebral hemorrhagic stroke a couple of days ago. They don't know yet if it was from an aneurysm or AVM. He is 59 years old, physically fit, about 5ft-120lbs, a nonsmoker, drinks alcohol (glass of wine/night & a shot of brandy/night), very active. He is being treated in the hospital right now. What I was told is that he is on sumazin, mannitol and ringer's serum with an iv and they're giving him acepil and mikardis as pills. His speech was impaired initially when is first happened but came back after the first night in the hospital. His right arm and leg lost sensitivity but he could move them the next day too. They did a CT scan but all you can see is the white spot indicating the blood that came out of the vessels. Doctors told me it's a 2-3 cm area. They are planning to keep him in bed for 7-10 days and then possibly schedule additional imaging tests. It seems like his blood pressure is fluctuating it initially was 200/130 then the next day was 170/100 and now the third day it is 150-70 and cardiologists are trying to keep it down. He is fully conscious and aware, is eating and able to talk normally. At this point the dr. wants him to stay in bed for 7-10 days. He doesn't recommend any surgery. He wants my dad to rest and not move so the hemorrhage will heal on its own. My question is does it sound like this is the right thing to do or should there be any other procedures or medications he should be on? What else should be done to prevent the vessel from re-bleeding later? Also, is there a way to tell if the stroke was from an AVM or aneurysm without doing an angiogram, maybe an MRA or CTA? Thank you so much for any information.

dmccam responded:
hi, my husband had a hemorrhagic stroke on oct. 27, 2012, and you should know how lucky your dad is that he is speaking, conscious, aware and able to move his limbs. He is very very fortunate. It is hard to say what kind of recovery he will have, but the fact that he has come so far in such a short amount of time is so very encouraging. It sounds like they are doing everything correctly to insure his recovery. It is a long road, but he is much ahead of the game. Don't lose heart, biggest challenge is to keep him motivated to continue to recover. Best of luck, and God be with you. D

nask84 replied to dmccam's response:
Thank you very much for the reply and the encouraging words!

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.