Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My mom had a stroke
ajm724 posted:
My mom had a stroke last week. She is 80. The ER doctor called it a small stroke and it affected the left side of her brain that controls communication. She had no weakness or physical symptoms of a stroke. When talking she would use a wrong word, one that didn't fit the sentence. We took her to the ER and they admitted her for a few days. Her dr. changed some of her medicines to get her blood pressure down. She has high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and we found out in the hospital, high cholesterol. Her triglycerides were through the roof. Anyway, they discharged her Friday and Sat. she had an episode. I thought she was having a major stroke. She dropped her sandwich in her lap, her head bent forward and she wouldn't answer us. She was like that for a few minutes. By the time the paramedics arrived she was alert again and answered their questions. They took her to the ER and they ran another CT scan but it only showed the damage from the previous stroke. Now it's been a week and 2 days since the stroke and she doesn't seem to be getting any better. She is unusually quiet and has some periods where she dozes off and doesn't really respond. Some of her medicines say they may cause drowsiness so we don't know if this is from the meds or from the stroke. She has us very concerned. I called her primary care physician and they said we can bring her in tomorrow morning to see him. I also called the neurologist and got her appointment with him changed to Tuesday. The more I think about it the more nervous I get. Is any of this common after a stroke? Will she always have these problems or will she return somewhat to normal?

itmatsb responded:
Yes, those are common symptoms after a stroke or it could be from her meds. Give her time and a lot of love. That can make a big difference. It hasn't been long at all since her stroke. Are they giving her any meds to try to control her cholesterol which is a risk factor for more strokes? Also if she has trouble speaking, called aphasia after a stroke, you could get her to a speech therapist. I needed a lot of that after my stroke and I had very little energy and needed a ton of sleep after my stroke. But I had severe physical disability after my stroke, which remains to some degree 5 years later, but I am grateful for what I have. Your mother is conscious and does not need a feeding tube. Count your blessings. The stroke could just as well have killed her. Give her some time. And ask her doctors what is normal. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.