Includes Expert Content
Vertebral Arteries
tac12254 posted:
recently i have had CTA symptoms....but not the usual that i had with the carotid blockages...i am being sent to Vanderbilt for narrowing of Vertebral Arteries...my question is ...How do they do an Angiogram for the vertebral Arteries ? Is it the same as with the Carotid ...the second time my right carotid was block in less than a year and they put a stent in through the groin....is the Vertebral Arteries done the same?...Thanks

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
The angiogram is done the same way as when we examine the carotid arteries. If you are a candidate for a stent it placed using the same access thru your groin. Here is a link to an article on stenting of the vertebral arteries. I suspect you are being referred to a Vanderbilt because they have a good deal of experience with doing this procedure. Good Luck.

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/42/8/2212.full
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

tac12254 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
thank you so very much.....

tac12254 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
I was told that i do not have to stop taking my Plavix and ASA prior to my Angiogram...why is that?