Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Vertebral Arteries
    tac12254 posted:
    recently i have had CTA symptoms....but not the usual that i had with the carotid blockages...i am being sent to Vanderbilt for narrowing of Vertebral question is ...How do they do an Angiogram for the vertebral Arteries ? Is it the same as with the Carotid ...the second time my right carotid was block in less than a year and they put a stent in through the the Vertebral Arteries done the same?...Thanks
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    The angiogram is done the same way as when we examine the carotid arteries. If you are a candidate for a stent it placed using the same access thru your groin. Here is a link to an article on stenting of the vertebral arteries. I suspect you are being referred to a Vanderbilt because they have a good deal of experience with doing this procedure. Good Luck.
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.
    tac12254 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    thank you so very much.....
    tac12254 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    I was told that i do not have to stop taking my Plavix and ASA prior to my Angiogram...why is that?

    Helpful Tips

    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.