Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vertebral Arteries
tac12254 posted:
recently i have had CTA symptoms....but not the usual that i had with the carotid blockages...i am being sent to Vanderbilt for narrowing of Vertebral Arteries...my question is ...How do they do an Angiogram for the vertebral Arteries ? Is it the same as with the Carotid ...the second time my right carotid was block in less than a year and they put a stent in through the groin....is the Vertebral Arteries done the same?...Thanks

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
The angiogram is done the same way as when we examine the carotid arteries. If you are a candidate for a stent it placed using the same access thru your groin. Here is a link to an article on stenting of the vertebral arteries. I suspect you are being referred to a Vanderbilt because they have a good deal of experience with doing this procedure. Good Luck.

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/42/8/2212.full
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

tac12254 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
thank you so very much.....

tac12254 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
I was told that i do not have to stop taking my Plavix and ASA prior to my Angiogram...why is that?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.