Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Need answers
lynnebro posted:
I just had the most unbelievable pain in both sides of my neck and my head! It felt like the top of my head was going to explode, I have never had this before? It lasted several minutes and is lingering with discomfort . Could this have been a stroke or early warning signs? I need some advise as I don't want to be an alarmist and go to the ER .... Would someone please give me an opinion. I am 63 yrs of age

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
If you have never had a headache this bad before, in other words, the "worst headache of my life," then you need to go to the Emergency Room and get a CT Scan of your brain. I have attached a link to a blog I wrote for the Huffington Post on this exact topic. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-c-senelick-md/headache-dangers_b_1852783.html .

You have two of the "red flags" for a serious headache. Your age and "the worst headache," It may turn out to be nothing but you cannot take a chance. This headache could be a warning or sentinel headache that precedes a bleed in the brain.

So, stop reading and have someone take you to the emergency room. Tell them you have had the worst headache of your life and are worried you may have had a small bleed in your brain. Do not leave without getting a CT Scan of your brain. Even if you feel fine now, you need to go.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

itmatsb responded:
Dr, Senelick is right. I had the worst headache of my life for a good 3 weeks, then had a full stroke. It is not worth it. Go the ER even now after a week if you haven't been to one already.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.