Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Advice -- stroke on both sides of brain
chenopod posted:
I need some advice — relatively quickly if possible.

My significant other has Dermatomyositis. She contracted a bad case of pneumonia and I took her to the emergency room. She was admitted to ICU on 7/10/13 and at some point, the doctors think it was around 7/14/13, she had strokes on both sides of her brain. The doctors are not sure what caused the strokes, but one theory is low blood pressure.

In the last week or so she has started to open her eyes and look around. Her eyes can stay open for a few seconds or up to 10 minutes. She also moves her mouth, but there has been no other movement. She does not respond to commands (blink, open your eyes, etc). It appears at times that she may understand when I am talking to her, but I understand that we tend to see what we want to see and she might not understand.

She is still being treated for the pneumonia, and for other infections, but there has been no treatment for the strokes. She went from ICU to DOU (Direct Observation Unit) yesterday. The doctors are talking about moving her to a nursing care facility within the next couple of days. Rehabilitation, apparently, is not an option if the patient is not alert.

I am afraid she is just being fast-tracked to a nursing home where she won't really receive any care for her stroke. This is a Kaiser facility and so far we have really had zero input into her care.

Is there anything that can be done to treat the stroke? Is there anything I can ask the doctor to look for and/or do?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.