Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alternative treatment for after stroke
missmooso posted:
Hi, I am seriously thinking of having my left arm from shoulder down amputated.I am so physically and mentally exhausted from carrying it around. It has intermittent pain however it's not the pain that gets to me just the sheer fact that it is a useless piece of body part since suffering my stroke in 2009.It is too disabled to relearn its skills of use I really have no fear of the consequences of having only one arm but this is a living hell no use to me I just want to get rid of it.If I had access to a saw like they use in meatworks I would place this useless limb on it and go for gold. I apologise to anyone if you find this offensive but this is my life my body I know it better then anyone.

sheebee1960 responded:
I feel the same way.

missmooso replied to sheebee1960's response:
Do you too have the same problem maybe together you and I could begin a major research into this I find all stroke websites have nothing for the sufferers just advise on how to avoid a stroke well I have had that info shoved down my throat long enough I know the symptoms of stroke but I don't want to know about symptoms I need to know of recovery methods new things to help try and get some use back and I know that those with money to afford modern technologies are in a far better situation than I. Look forward to your response.

wendell2954 responded:
have entertained the same thoughts. removing my useless left arm. "Too disabled to re-learn", that is where we diverge.my thinking is as long as you haave that lifeless arm, and it is not damaged. it can some day be useful again.since my stroke in 2007 an important realization for me is that my left arm hand and leg don't function as they used to. but with lots of practice i can learn to use my arm, hand, and leg, differently than before, and with time the new way becomes the natural way. give it all the time it needs. just don't give up and take it off.

wendell2954 replied to missmooso's response:
agreed. accces to cutting edge technologies, and therapy is the key to ecovery

itmatsb replied to wendell2954's response:
Great response from you Wendell. There are always medical miracles that can arise too.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.