Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    dad's stroke and his behavior
    An_254391 posted:
    my dad had a small stroke maybe 2010 then a major one in 2011. about a year ago, he stopped talking to his friends and started giving his money away to women he doesn't really know. he keeps hoping they will come here and then pay him back but of course they don't. also he has become more mean verbally. he wasn't mean before but now he gets mad at me for the littlest things even though he does the things he gets mad at me for. I feel like I'm living in a domestic violence home but he was never like that. when i go to vegas to see my mom, he sometimes says he misses his "slave"- we joke around about me being a slave. my brother is mad at him and like tonight after dad said some things, i cried. why is he like that? should he go to the doctor?
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    Strokes and brain injury can causes damage to the brain that leads to changes in the person's personality and/or behavior. Typically, pre-existing personality traits are exaggerated although this is not always the case. Counseling and medications can help, but the key is getting the person to the doctor. Stroke and brain injury survivors can have a problem with "deficit awareness." In other words, they are not able to recognize that they have a problem. That can make it very difficult when you approach them about the problem and suggest that they go to the doctor.

    If your father is willing to go to the doctor, make sure that doctor is one who is familiar with treating behavior problems after a stroke. If your father is willing to go to his primary care doctor, give the doctor or his nurse a call ahead of time so they have a "heads up" on why you are coming in.

    This is a difficult problem, but there is help out there.

    Good luck.
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.
    hammy38 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    Thank you
    good4today replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    It was comforting to hear your response. My spouse has had 2 TAI's in the last few weeks. Since then things have changed.
    He gets overly upset and thinks himself into a frenzy then comes after me and makes grave accusations and makes some serious threats that put me in a position that I may have to leave the house for a few days. He usually mellows out in a couple days
    and apologizes but in the mean time I feel his irrational state directly connected to the mini strokes. I am struggling to get him to realize that his emotional upheavals are chemical reactions to the mini strokes but he doesn't want to hear anything I have to say most of the time now. I guess my question is just how sever
    can these behavior changes from mini strokes be and how long will they last. thank you in advance for your response.

    Helpful Tips

    Any Exercise is Good!Expert
    A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, but I think the results ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 8 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.