Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
dad's stroke and his behavior
An_254391 posted:
my dad had a small stroke maybe 2010 then a major one in 2011. about a year ago, he stopped talking to his friends and started giving his money away to women he doesn't really know. he keeps hoping they will come here and then pay him back but of course they don't. also he has become more mean verbally. he wasn't mean before but now he gets mad at me for the littlest things even though he does the things he gets mad at me for. I feel like I'm living in a domestic violence home but he was never like that. when i go to vegas to see my mom, he sometimes says he misses his "slave"- we joke around about me being a slave. my brother is mad at him and like tonight after dad said some things, i cried. why is he like that? should he go to the doctor?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Strokes and brain injury can causes damage to the brain that leads to changes in the person's personality and/or behavior. Typically, pre-existing personality traits are exaggerated although this is not always the case. Counseling and medications can help, but the key is getting the person to the doctor. Stroke and brain injury survivors can have a problem with "deficit awareness." In other words, they are not able to recognize that they have a problem. That can make it very difficult when you approach them about the problem and suggest that they go to the doctor.

If your father is willing to go to the doctor, make sure that doctor is one who is familiar with treating behavior problems after a stroke. If your father is willing to go to his primary care doctor, give the doctor or his nurse a call ahead of time so they have a "heads up" on why you are coming in.

This is a difficult problem, but there is help out there.

Good luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

hammy38 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Thank you

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.