Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not a stroke but with stroke-like symptoms
An_254414 posted:
I am 35 years old. I was at work and my right neck/shoulder area started to get very warm, few minutes later it started to feel numb. I then felt off balance when I walked. Then my left leg and left arm started to feel numb. My balance got a little worse but I started to feel a lot of pain in my upper shoulder area (this continued until they gave me an injection to stop the pain a week after I got out of the hospital). Then my right side was extremely weak to where I couldn't walk well. All this happened in a matter of 30-40 minutes before I went to the ER. I was there for five days, they took numerous tests. They could not find anything wrong with me. This was a month ago. Since then I have regained strength in my right side (in the hospital I could barely move my arm and leg and couldn't write with my hand, not enough strength) but I continue to have numbness on my left side. I sometimes feel really hot or really cold. I cannot feel temperatures on my skin or pinches. It's like my body has been cut in half. I also have restless leg on my left side to the point where it jerks my leg and is painful. The strange thing is that they tested me for a stroke, but said I didn't have one... also tested for MS and other things... no positive test resulted. Could stress do this to a person? Or could they have missed the stroke in a test? I'm confused and I haven't gotten any answers for my extreme symptoms. I'm struggling against depression. I haven't had anything like this happen to me before. WIll this last forever? Will this happen again? Nobody was able to give me any answers, but was left with a HUGE medical bill. They said it may be stress related... that's it.

ford35 responded:
I also noticed my right eyelid doesn't open as much as my left... not too noticeable, but I can tell.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.