Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Surgery after a stroke
dhigh posted:
My wife had a stroke 2 years ago Feb. It was a brain bleed type that they attributed to high blood pressure and taking cold medicine. She has made a wonderful recovery, for which we are thankful. She has developed Regional Pain Syndrome in the past year, but the big issue we have now is that she has developed an ovarian cyst that develops and causes her unbearable pain, ruptures and repeats. The greatest pain comes when it gets to around 5-6 cm in size. Her OB doctor says that any type of hormone therapy to stop the growth is out of the question due to the stroke. She has had a partial hysterectomy, but still has her ovaries. The OB also refuses to finish the hysterectomy because she considers her "high risk" for the surgery. What other options do we have and is surgery worth the risk? Her blood pressure is under control and is great, and she is in pretty good health otherwise.
Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Without seeing your wife and having the entire history it is not appropriate to "second guess" your surgeon. On the other hand we have stroke survivors who undergo major surgery all the time, including open heart surgery. It might help if you ran the problem by your neurologist. If he doesn't have a problem with it, you should re-approach her gynecologist. If the doctor still feels she is too hi risk, you might consider a second opinion. You could ask the gynecologist who they would suggest for a "high risk" patient. There are doctors and medical centers that specialize in these areas. Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Helpful Tips

Stroke and brain hemorrhage
My mom 68 had a stroke/hemorrhage 22 days before and released from hospital and move to rehab now. She is not responding very well but ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.