Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
So confused.
miraramsay posted:
I am 21 years old, diagnosed recently with a 59% narrowing in my right carotid artery. Yesterday, I was very dizzy, had a cramp in my right arm and a cold feeling in my right hand. I went to the doctor, he checked my circulation and said it was just neuropathy and sent me home.

Today, my arm is still sore/hand cold. My right foot feels a little cold, too. What is going on? Shouldn't the doctor be more concerned?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Your situation is "confusing" and warrants further evaluation. It would be highly unusual for a 21 year old to have narrowing in their carotid artery. One has to question the validity of the test. If it is accurate, then further evaluation is warranted. It would not explain your symptoms and a neuropathy is also less likely. Can you get in to see a neurologist? If not, a second opinion is in order and I would seek out another physician. Without seeing you it would be impossible to speculate on the cause of your symptoms, but I would seek another opinion. Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

miraramsay replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
I am seeing a neurologist. I started seeing him for migraines and then he ordered the ultrasound that showed the narrowing. Could the ultrasound be inaccurate?

I am waiting for my insurance to approve a CTA.

Richard C Senelick, MD replied to miraramsay's response:
Yes, the ultrasound can be inaccurate ( false positive) and that is why your neurologist ordered a CTA. The history of migraine is important since your symptoms may be part of a complicated migraine syndrome. I am glad you are seeing a neurologist. They should be able to figure it out.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

miraramsay replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Yes, it was a false positive. The report from the CTA says the stenosis suspected on the ultrasound is "artifactual" (falsely produced by some external element).

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.