Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Multiple TIA's and Probabily of Marjor Stroke?
markarmand posted:
I have just had a serious TIA event resulting in a monetary black and collapse, and loss of use of all my limbs for 45 minutes. I understand that a TIA increases the probability of a major stroke but does having a history of several increase the probability? MarkArmand

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
There is no question that a TIA increases the risk of having a stroke, particularly in the first 90 days following the TIA. It is very important that you undergo a comprehensive evaluation for the cause of the TIA and hopefully the source can de identified. Most stroke survivors are not fortunate enough to have the warning of TIA. You need to take advantage of this warning and make sure you have an appropriate workup. You probably have been placed on an anti-platelet medication to prevent a stroke, but if not, ask your doctor about these medications ( Aspirin, Clopidogrel, Aggrenox). It is important that you manage all the "lifestyle" factors that you can: diet, exercise, diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea etc.

Here is the link to an excellent review of TIA on WebMD.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.