Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
TIA Stroke
An_254648 posted:
I had a TIA Stroke over the weekend. The only problem I had was slurred speech. How does sex effect stroke. I am a very sexual person can't get enough. Don't tell me to slow down.

just had a TIA Stoke over the weekend. I was speaking German to my daughter and had some slurred speech. Those where the only symp

mrbogey58 responded:
I'm stroke survivor(ischemic stroke) just wanted to say the sex thing becomes a non-issue?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
Right now the most important thing is to get a thorough evaluation and treatment so you don't have a stroke. People who have a TIA are at a much higher risk of having a stroke in the first 30 days after a TIA. You need to find out exactly why you had the TIA and get treatment. You can't wait to see if it happens again. The next time you may not be so lucky.

As for the sex question, I don't know if you are a man or a woman, but it shouldn't make much difference. The stroke survivors I care for have problems with sex for a number of reasons. It can be difficult from a physical standpoint or there can be cognitive and behavioral issues. It sounds like you don't have any residual problems from your TIA and any restrictions would be because of any heart issues. It is unlikely you will have any restrictions, but it is critical that you are evaluated by a neurologist or physician who is well versed in stroke prevention. They can give you the green light on sex.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.