Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
POST STROKE EVOLVING SYMPTOMS
barblynch66 posted:

Hi all...I am new to this group, as I thought once I had the strokes (I had multiple embolic strokes mostly in the left hemisphere affecting the occipital, temporal, parietal and frontal lobes. Once I learned to walk on my own after not being able to, I thought I was done.

A year following I was having headaches (it was my sinuses), but the ear, nose and throat doctor sent me for an mri of my brain just to be on the safe side...my strokes had evolved and I now had vasospastic syndrome also know as Reynaud's...I have since moved to Florida as I cannot, at all, tolerate the cold as well as I get spasms in my heart and have to wear a nitro patch day in and day out.

Yesterday (the strokes were at the end of 2010) I went to get my eyes checked. I knew they were not good and I needed a new prescription, but was not expecting to find out that I am legally blind in my right eye and it will progress to blindness. My left eye, because of the strain has gone from 20/30 to 20/80 in a year. I am an avid reader and cannot read unless it is a little at a time, in huge print, and not often because I have to protect my left eye from getting worse.

It seems like a small thing, but I can read an 800 page book in 2 days...and I am losing that. I don't mind the stuttering, the short term memory loss, the uncoordination and the exhaustion, I have accepted all that - even the Reynauds but now my reading capabilities. I cannot drive any longer...

I wondered if this is it...or should I get mri's yearly? I only went in for glasses as my vision was getting worse - I had no idea what was actually happening. Apparently the vision is connected to the occipital lobe and the signals aren't making it.

Can someone give me any input at all?

Thanks so much
Barbara

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear you having so much trouble. First, I hope you are being followed by a neurologist and that they have evaluated you thoroughly to identify all the treatable causes of stroke. If not, that is the first order of business. When someone has multiple strokes on both sides of the brain, we look carefully at the heart as a source of blood clots and also at blood clotting disorders.

It is hard to explain your loss of visual acuity on basis of your strokes. You might have lost visual field, but I wonder if there is something else going on. You didn't tell us your age or whether you have diabetes and hypertension. Did you go to optometrist for glasses or see an ophthalmologist. Depending how close you are to a major medical center, it may be helpful to see a neuro-ophthalmolopgist.

Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

barblynch66 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Hi Dr. Senelik...thank you for responding. I am 47 years old with no diabetes and only vasospastic syndrome (that affects my heart) post-stroke a year later. Prior to the strokes I have severe edema from my feet to my knees (both) that was extremely bad. I go to the doctor, on a regular basis and during the time of the edema I had multiple carotid, doppler tests, the whole shebang and no one could tell me why I had the edema. I took a fall in October of 2010 and hit my head, which the doctors knew about and a month later suffered the strokes. But again, I had multiple test, as well as an angriogram prior to, and the cardiologist said I had a "mild" blocked but it was in a valve (i forget the name of it) but it was the one that they cannot put a stent in. I take cholestoral meds even though my cholestorel is good, but the cardio wanted to make it even lower. As far as the eyes, it was an opthalmologist as well as an optometrist (which I also saw a year ago). At any rate, I was unaware that strokes have an evolution. Since I got sober 14 years ago, I am always on top of my health and take care of myself very well...I have had major surgeries on my entire spine and am on disability - the strokes just made me worse. The eye guy told me that the eyes are controlled by area 17 of my brain (occipital lobe) which controls the eyesight). I will be seeing my regular doctor next week and am going to ask her to refer my to a neuro-opthalmologist...no one has ever suggested this. I do see a neurologist, however. Before this exam, prior to that, it was determined that I lost much of my peripheral vision on the right side, which is now worse as well. I appreciate what you have told me and hopefully I can get better informed. I do not mind if I am losing my right eye - it is what it is and I will be ok, but it is much better to be prepared. Thank you again, so so much

Barbara Lynch

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.