Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Gi Bleeding after a stroke
ralklm posted:
Hello! My mother, who is 81 years old, had a stroke on November 22. It was ischemic and affected her left frontal lobe-it was a MCA stroke. She has been making amazing progress since there-doesn't seem to be paralysis. She has a fib which caused the stroke, has a stent from 15 years ago. Last Monday her cardiologist called me to say her EKG showed a different abnormality since after the stroke. He said it shows there may be some straining and lack of flow to the heart, could be from stroke, meds, blockage. Didn't recommend doing a chemical stress test. Past few days she has been extremely sensitive when the nurses would wipe her, and curl up on her side in bed. She had diarrhea and today my sister went to visit and there's rectal bleeding. The nurses say it suggests a GI Bleed. I'm at my wits end with all of this as she's all I have left. Any input on what this could mean, treatment, etc? She has aphasia so she can't even tell us what's going on....

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am afraid this is a situation where on line medical advice would not be appropriate. There is so much going on that the advice should be given by someone who can examine your mom. The rectal bleeding could be as simple as a hemorrhoid or something more serious. There is no way to know without looking at her. Did her cardiologist have specific suggestions after her latest tests? If you did not get a clear understanding of what to do, call him back. I wish I had an easy answer for you. Good luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.