My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
treatment after a Hemorrhagic stroke
An_254887 posted:
I'm 69, on 11/18/13 I had a Hemorrhagic stroke that affected my right
eye but has now recovered. After stroke, to find cause I had cardiac
test which revealed I have Atrial Fibrillation. My Cardiologist wants to
put me on Coumadin or Xarelto. Would it be appropriate to treat my
A Fib with blood thinners after a Hemorragic stroke?
I'm in good health otherwise. This is my first major medical problem.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
In most cases it is appropriate to either start or restart anticoagulation in patients who have atrial fibrillation and have had a stroke. This includes hemorrhagic strokes. The waiting period after the stroke depends on the individual patient, but if there is no blood on the CT scan or in your eye and you are doing well, most physicians would start warfarin or one of new novel anticoagulants. Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.