Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Stroke help re: Spasms
    jmontario posted:
    My husband had a stroke 22 and 1/2 yrs. left side paralyzed and is in a wheelchair in long term care. Now he is getting spasms up of 5 to 7 per day. not painful, but he says like a charge going through him. He shakes at that time also. Can anyone tell me if this is common after 2 years later. jmontario
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    The first step is to determine what type of "spasms" he is having. After a stroke people can develop spasticity (tightness) in their muscles. This can worsen over time and may or may not be painful. We have medications like baclofen and tizanadine that can help control the spasms. Small focal seizures can also look like spasms and would be treated with a medications for seizures. Finally, stroke survivors can feel "electric" or "shock-like" sensations in their paralyzed limbs. This is called neuropathic pain and can be treated with many of the same medications used for seizures, although there are also medications for this type of discomfort.

    The challenge may be arranging to get him seen by someone who can determine what type of problem he is having. Does he have a neurologist? Can he be transported to a neurologist's office for a consultation? He may have a very good primary care doctor who visits him at the long term care facility, but that doctor may or may feel comfortable treating this type of problem. Start with the primary care doctor and ask whether he can arrange a neurologic consultation. Finally, many of these medications can affect a person's thinking or make them sleepy, so be on the look out for side effects. Ask them to start with a very low dose.

    I hope this helped. Good Luck
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.
    jmontario replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    Thank You for your comments. He is also on Riddlen, which may be causing these spasms now. He needs it to keep focused . He has been on Riddlen for 2 an d 1/2 years since his stroke. 1/2 tablet in a.m. other half at lunch. Long term facility doctor just today has reduced the Ridlen to once a day to see how he will cope. Also a neurologist appointment is being made, which seems like a 6 month wait. Is there any other medications that can be used instead of Ridlen to help with focusing ?
    Richard C Senelick, MD replied to jmontario's response:
    There are other medications that can improve alertness and attention but they are much more expensive than Ritalin. They are all "off label" usage, meaning that it is not what they are approved for. The most common other medication that doctors use is modafanil ( Provigil) but it costs about $15 per pill in the USA. Good Luck
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

    Helpful Tips

    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.