Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Halucinations in stroke victims
    sandyp53 posted:
    My mother, now 82 years old, had a stroke 13 years ago that left her paralyzed on her right side. She has had a very hard time adjusting to it and has been hospitalized several times for dehydration, internal bleeding, drug overdose and other things. Recently, approximately 2-3 weeks ago, she started calling in the middle of the night and insisting people were breaking into her house, playing basketball in her garage, partying in the basement and holding her hostage. We have gone to her house and found no sign of anyone. When we try to tell her that no one is breaking in or tried to break in, she gets angry with us and refuses to talk to us anymore. We took her to the Dr on Monday and he tested her urine for an UTI. We have not had the results or if she got the results, she did not tell us or remember them. The local police have been called several times and they could find no trace of anyone being there. My mother has now decided that the police caught these burglars and interrogated them till 6 AM and it should be over now. Actually, the Lt of the police dept. called my brother to make him aware of how many times the police have been called down there and not found any trace of breaking in or anyone being there. We don't know what is causing these hallucinations or what to do to help her realize they aren't happening. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    Hallucinations ( seeing or hearing things that aren't there) or delusions ( false beliefs) can occur with age and dementia. Her doctor was correct to look for an infection, since they can frequently cause confusion in the elderly. There are many other causes for increasing confusion and you may want to take your mother back to the doctor for a more complete evaluation. She may need more blood tests and even a brain scan. She sure to stress to the doctor the magnitude of the problem. Is she on any new medicines that could be contributing to the problem? If all the tests are normal and she continues with the hallucinations, there are medications that can help. Finally, it may no longer be safe for her to live alone. This is a huge problem for families, but one that we all face. Good Luck
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.
    sandyp53 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    Thank you for your advice. My mother had two trips to the ER because her blood pressure was so high. The first time, they sent her back home saying she was fine. The second time, the very next day, they admitted her due to her high blood pressure and UTI. She is in the hospital, receiving fluids and medications, and hopefully this will be the end of her strange hallucinations.
    j22frosty responded:
    We had a friend with similar issues. His doctor found that the hallucinations were caused by Keppra, an anti-seizure medicine. He was slowly weaned off the medicine and is fine now.

    Helpful Tips

    Stroke and brain hemorrhage
    My mom 68 had a stroke/hemorrhage 22 days before and released from hospital and move to rehab now. She is not responding very well but ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.