Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Unconscious Grasping Reflex
    stroke1 posted:
    Good day,

    If possible, can anyone help me to find the proper term for the unconscious grasping and flexing of the affected hand/wrist.

    Often when my son is concentrating on executing a task with the unaffected limb, his affected limb will curl/flex into a spastic, grasping position.

    Thanks for your help.
    alberta24 responded:
    That is how mine does too. Trying to open something will put my left hand in a cramp. And it will take a while to relax. I don't know the proper term. I just wish it would stop. Alberta
    stroke1 replied to alberta24's response:
    Alberta, Thanks for the reply. Yes, my son feels the same frustration as you. I'm hoping to find out the Neurological term for this action so that I may research it more effectively.
    alberta24 replied to stroke1's response:
    If you find out what it is called, let me know so I can do it too. I don't know if there is a name for it. It has just been a part of my life these last 9 years. Sorry I wasn't any help. Alberta
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    We really don't have a fancy term for this phenomenon. The flexion of the arm and extension of the leg after a brain injury or stroke is called a "decorticate" posture. If a person has increased muscle tone or spasticity in their arm, it can increase with stress or activity. Medications like baclofen or tizanidine can sometimes help. Likewise, injected the overactive muscles with Botox can decrease the amount of muscle tone.
    Good Luck
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.
    stroke1 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    Richard, Thanks for your response and encouragement.
    alberta24 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    I have had the botox. It does not help anymore. In October, I had the baclofen pump put in. It has helped a lot. But not all. I am glad I got it.

    Helpful Tips

    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.