Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Definitions
dougkat posted:
I am having trouble finding an actual definition of what a completed stroke is. I have information saying it is when an episode reaches its maximum extent, which can be immediate or over a few hours, and is often complete before medical attention. This is where no further ischemia or loss of functional activity is seen.
But if this is immediate or over a few hours, is this not a TIA?

atti_editor responded:
Hi dougkat,

I did some research and this is what I found:

From this WebMD article : "A TIA happens when blood flow to part of the brain is blocked or reduced, often by a blood clot. After a short time, blood flows again and the symptoms go away. With a stroke, the blood flow stays blocked, and the brain has permanent damage."

Here is a paper from the AJMC in case you want to read further on the subject.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

-Atti

weeziie replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you for the link AJMC, had the best information.
weeziie

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.