Skip to content
TIA's
kmf51 posted:
Over the past 3 years I've had multiple TIA's. This past week I've had two. One slight one pretty bad. Both last 45 minutes. The Neurologist at ER said not to come on unless they last more than 45 minutes or longer. I don't want to many lasting effects from these or have them progress into full blown strokes.

Any thoughts on my next plan of attack for my health. I live in Florida and am thinking of going to a large teaching hospital to see if there is a source of why I'm having these and if there is something I can do.

I have balance issues now and am trying to catch up on my sleep as they do leave me tired. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. I do try and lead a busy full life so I will try and slow down some.

atti_editor responded:
Hi kmf51,

First of all, I think that it is a great idea to look into going to a teaching hospital or other source to find out why you are having these TIA's, as then you can create a proper plan to stop them from happening and reduce your risk of having a full blown stroke. Here are some prevention tips that you might find helpful, including treatment options that may be available to you as well as lifestyle and dietary changes you might consider making. Also, here are some organizations that may be able to provide you with more information and support.

Best wishes,
Atti

kmf51 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you so much. I agree knowledge is the key. I'm trying to decide on which teaching hospital is the best one for me. I've done some research and am torn between IU Med CEnter and John Hopkins. They both have their advantages. Proximity to daughter is one key and ranking is another. Any thoughts?

atti_editor replied to kmf51's response:
I can't speak to which hospital is better for you, but you might find these articles useful in making your decision:
I would make a pros and cons list for each (as you seem to be doing in regards to proximity to your daughter and ranking). In the end, only you can determine which hospital is best for you in terms of care and overall experience.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.