Skip to content
Just to vent
kellyflkeys posted:
I had my stroke (Wallenberg Syndrome) on 09/21/2013....5 months ago. I am 54 years old and have been a gym jock my whole adult life so this left me in shock! Through an Angio Cat Scan, the Dr. said I have a congenital anomaly of very tiny vertebral arteries and the Pika off the right vertebral in the brain stem stenosed. Was this due to dehydration? Maybe. I feel fortunate that I did not have the swallowing problems that many of you had. I had only a slight numbness to the right eye which is back to normal now. The main affect was my balance, sensitive to cold on my left leg and constant burning sensation to left leg. I did 7 weeks of PT to learn how to walk again and was back to work full time in 8 weeks from onset of stroke. I went back to the gym 3 weeks ago. I did notice that I get very tired about 6 hrs. into work and it's hard to stay up late on my days off. The burning sensation is very annoying and I'm taking 2 gabapentin at night which does not seem to help. I'm just not a pill taker coz I'm afraid of side effects. (one side affect is it could make you tired....don't want to feel even more tired than I already get at work) I did not feel the burning until about 3 or 4 weeks after the stroke happened and although it is constant now, it does not affect my sleep. I'm hoping it will subside eventually but meanwhile, does anyone else have this burning sensation in a limb? What do you take for it? I'm on a low dose aspirin for the rest of my life also. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again to me...drinking lots of water..trying to keep hydrated here in the FL Keys! I also have a husband who has been my rock...it's important to have support. Thanks for listening.

amandible responded:
Kelly,

I'm sorry that you had a stroke. It's very hard to swallow. I had a stroke a year ago and not only can I still not believe it, I also still feel very fatigued every day. I've been told that it's normal and goes away. I think it's good that you have an active lifestyle because I hear that it helps with the fatigue, as well. Stay strong and remember to take time for yourself. I think it's normal if you feel sad or angry, too.

Good luck.

atti_editor responded:
Hi kellyflkeys,

I am sorry to hear that you suffered a stoke, but it's great that you are already back to the gym and have strong support system. Although I cannot give medical advice or a diagnosis, I did find these resources from the National Stroke Association that talk about pain after a stroke and list a constant burning sensation as one possible effect. This is a general overview of the topic, and this is a fact sheet that you might find helpful. Both include some suggestions on what you might do to help ease the sensation.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.