Skip to content
Stroke? Is a definitive diagnosis possible after 40 years?
tnampaio posted:
From age 5 to age 18, I experienced severe child abuse.
At 11 years of age, after a particularly bad episode, I was not functioning properly. I could not walk without grasping for the walls and furniture of my room. I was disoriented, experienced vertigo, had a severe, nauseating headache, my left side was numb and slightly dragging. The most frightening to me was that I had trouble swallowing.
Upon returning to school, I was able to formulate thoughts in my head, but was not able to relay the information correctly. I found I could not respond properly to questions asked to me. I was so disoriented, apparently my teacher allowed me to sit behind the other children, so as to not disturb class. When I "came out of it", I realized my behavior and was embarrassed, as the other children had made fun of me.
Throughout the immediate time that followed, I remember repeatedly trying to fix me, by spelling the words of everything I saw, quietly in my head. I didn't run for fear of falling over, my left side did become stronger, yet has remained diminished to this day. I have had other issues come and go throughout the years, particularly during and after childbirth.
I am now almost 50 years old. Is it possible after this long to know if I suffered a stroke? And, if so, am I at further risk for strokes as I get older?
Thank you. T.Nampaio
sparkyttf@gmail.com

atti_editor responded:
Hi tnampaio,

This is a question best asked of your doctor. He/she may be able to tell you if a stroke diagnosis is possible after a number of years and what your possible risk for future strokes is. I suggest you recount your medical history as you have here and see what he/she is able to conclude. While we cannot provide medical advice or diagnosis on this board, you might want to take a look at these points on what to expect after a stroke . Many of the things that you describe are listed here, but again, a diagnosis by a medical professional is needed to determine exactly what you suffered.

You might also be interested in reading this article on stroke prevention -- it includes risk factors for stroke and how to adopt a lifestyle that will further help to prevent stroke.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.