Skip to content
Standard Post-Stroke Care
amandible posted:
In February of 2013, I had an ischemic stroke in my right occipital lobe at 24 years old. As a result, I thankfully only have left homonymous hemianopia, which after a year has not resolved. I do have very frequent headaches, often in the area where I experienced my strok, and fatigue. I am not overweight, don't have high blood pressure, not a smoker. I don't have any pfo's in my heart, no collusions in veins or arteries, no history in my family. I've had maybe 3-4 migraines in my life with aura and I was on birth control at the time. I'm only on low dose aspirin now for the rest of my life. It took four months for me to see a neurologist and he never requested any additional tests, MRI's, or even a follow up appointment with me. At the time, I was relieved not to see a doctor but now I'm worried that more should've been done? Is this standard? Should I be concerned? Should I be on anti-coagulant therapy?

I'm worried because I live in a border town that is pretty inundated and I'm on state insurance. I feel like I've been brushed off. I'm just worried about having another one. I just need some guidance. Thank you.
atti_editor responded:
Hi amandible,

I'm not sure about what is standard follow-up procedure following a stroke and hope that another community member or our expert with chime in with personal/profession experience, but I was able to find this article about post-stroke treatment . From what I see, after your condition is stabilized, prevention of a future stroke is key. The article has some tips that you might follow (not smoking, staying at a healthy weight, and not having high blood pressure are all on the list, so it looks like you are already aware of prevention tips). I hope these help in some way.

Best wishes,

Helpful Tips

I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.