Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TIA
rosesrred posted:
On 8/31/12 over 3 years ago I experienced my first bad TIA and have had multiple TIA's since. January and February I experience two. My symptoms come and go. This month March I been experiencing fast onset of headaches, left arm numbness and tingling around my wrist... Does anyone else experience these symptoms. My symptoms are slight ones now have not experienced a bad one since my first bad one. I just fear a full blown stroke with TIA you never know when that will happen. My doctor advised me once I have symptoms go straight to ER not to wait... Symptoms are gone by the time I am seen. I have my ups and downs, I feel so fatigued at time, depression sets in waves, and I wake every hour at night and will take a nap during the day. There are days that I have balance issues that is scary or my vision is blurry. When I walk the length of the drive way (100 ft.) I am exhausted, as if I am being chocked, hard to catch my breath. I don't know if this is part of the TIA symptoms. I do try to keep busy move by taking walks, gardening, and keep up with house hold responsibilities... just tires me out. Is TIA a permanent disability?

atti_editor responded:
Hi rosesrred,

Sudden, sever headaches, numbness and tingling in the arms (especially on one side of the body), vision changes and sudden problems with walking or balance are some of the symptoms of TIA outlined here. Your doctor is absolutely right that when you feel these symptoms coming on you should get to the ER (even if they go away before you are seen). Early treatment can help prevent a stroke as TIAs are warnings that a future stroke is possible. It is good that you are trying to stay busy.

After you have a TIA, the likelihood that you will have more is higher. The second page of the article in the above link has some lifestyle adjustments you might try to reduce your risk of stroke. Does your doctor have you on any medications to help prevent stroke?

Best wishes,
Atti

rosesrred replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you for your reply, Yes, I am on medication Simvastain 40mg at bedtime,
Metoprolol 25mg twice a day,
Citalopram 20 mg one daily,
Clopidogrel 75mg one daily, and
Levothyroxine 0.05 mg one daily.

Taking these medication does not prevent the symptoms from occurring? Which I though they would. TIA is it a permanent disability? My symptoms come and go so quickly I do fear of having a stroke.

atti_editor replied to rosesrred's response:
I don't know to what extent TIA would be classified as a permanent disability, but research has shown that of the 700,000 people who experience strokes in the US, for 200,000 they are recurrent. The link above has some information on prevention of TIAs that you might review. I think that talking with your doctor about your fears and making sure that you are taking all precautions to prevent future stroke is best. You might ask if there are any lifestyle changes that you might make to lessen the recurrence of TIAs,

Best wishes,
Atti

rosesrred replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you Atti, The research information you shared with me was very informative I have scheduled an appoint to talk with my physician about my fears. Regards

atti_editor replied to rosesrred's response:
I'm glad that you found the information helpful. I hope your appointment went well!

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.