Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how to increase your appetite
rocky1959 posted:
My father is 83 years old had a bad stomach ulcer and had surgery. While in the hospital he had a mild stoke and mild heart attack. This was back in February that he was released from hospital. But now at home hi has loss hi appetite and will not eat. He will say that he wants or craves something but will not eat it, He has now loss 18 pounds and is now becoming very weak.

atti_editor responded:
Hi rocky1959,

I am so sorry to hear that your father is having these troubles. Have you spoken with his doctor about possible causes and solutions? It is important that he is getting the proper nutrition and a medical professional may be able to find an underlying medical problem that is keeping him from eating. Here is some information about coping with eating problems after a stroke that I think you will find helpful. Please keep us updated on how he is doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.