Skip to content
too late to detect a stroke?
thekira posted:
Hi I'm a 29 year old female, Last week a guy at work had a mini stroke, and his symptoms and diagnosis got me thinking about something that happened to me last May

I was out at a camping event in the Texas heat and at one point towards the evening I started feeling extremely dizzy and confused and was throwing up a lot, and felt like my brain had forgotten how to interact with my body, and after some of that had passed and I got back into a safe place at camp, I was having a lot of trouble finding my words and getting them out right.

At the time, I'd mostly attributed it to the heat, dehydration, and some other things that were going on at the moment, but now I'm wondering if it could have been a mini-stroke.

Since this was almost a year ago now, if I went to the doctor and asked for an mri or something, would this be likely to show up one way or another?

Thanks!

atti_editor responded:
Hi thekira,

I am unsure if any kind of tests your doctor could do would determine whether or not what you experienced a year ago was a mini-stroke. However, mini-strokes, or transient ischemic attacks, are often a warning that a stroke may happen soon -- getting treatment can help prevent a full stroke. It may be a good idea to at least speak with your doctor about what you experienced and have a physical to make sure that you are in good health. Your doctor may be able to at least give some insight on what he/she believes your symptoms described above could be attributed to.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.