Skip to content
14 year old has a stroke
shazmitaz posted:
My 14 year old son had a stroke a week ago. Occurred in the left side of his brain. Has affected the right side of his body as well as speech and memory. We took him home on Tuesday, and have started various therapies with him such as speech, Physio , OT. He was doing really well and everyday has been a slight improvement. All sensation on the right side was starting to return, could walk properly. Was struggling with his arm to lift it . They have done various tests such as MRI, CT, Angiogram , ECG as well as numerous blood tests. Everything is coming back negative so they can't say how it has happened or where it originated. He is exceptionally healthy, has only been on antibiotics about 4 times in his life, plays soccer 5 days a week and has been playing soccer since he was 4 . No drugs, steroids, etc were found in his system. No cholesterol, no family history of any of these illnesses. We rushed him back to hospital tonight as he lost all sensation on the right side of his body. They have done another MRI and it has come back clear, in fact they say the area that the stroke occurred looks like it has started reducing in size. Is this normal after a stroke? Are there any other test I can take him for ?

atti_editor responded:
I am sorry for everything that your family is going through! How is your son doing now? I hope that you have gotten more information on what may have caused these strokes.

shazmitaz responded:
Hi, he never had another stroke. They have now diagnosed him with Reversible Cerebral Vasoconstriction Syndrome. Or Call Fleming Syndrome. They can't tell us if the syndrome caused the stroke or vice versa. He lost all sensation on both sides of the body, and the ability to speak. We rushed him from one hospital to another as no one could find out what was wrong with him. He has been admitted to an in patient rehab facility and they aren't willing to commit on a time line regarding his recovery or what the recovery will be. He has been working hard with the various therapists and has regained feeling on the left side of his body. He can also say a few words and is already trying to use his right leg.

atti_editor replied to shazmitaz's response:
I'm glad to hear that he is working hard with the therapists and is progressing well! Thank you for keeping us updated!

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.