Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Residule Effects of Strokes
An_257997 posted:
I had 3 strokes at the age of 47 due to having a paten foreman ovale. I am 59 now. I am weak on the right side and have no reflexes on the right. I am a nurse and still work and was fortunate that my stokes didn't cripple me. I still work outside of the home, but the last 2 months I have noticed that I am having trouble with my memory and thought process. This is very new to me. I have a neurologist and see him every 6 month. I have expressed my memory concerns with my doctors and he seems to think it nothing to worry about. I am not so sure of that. I had another doctor ask me if anyone had explained to me what can happen to my health years after a stroke. I have not had anyone speak to me regarding this. I am a cardiology nurse and have not really dealt with stroke patients a great deal. My question is...is memory loss years after a stroke common? In my line of work your memory is everything. There are times I do not remember driving to work. I have been "lost" in the hospital that I have worked at for years 3 different times in the last 2 months. I have gotten to the point of being afraid to drive my car or go to work. I am only comfortable in my home where ever thing is familiar. Any opinions, help, and insight would be quite helpful to me. Thanks in advance for any replies.

slickpmc responded:
An_257997:

I too had a stroke in 2009 with a PFO. I subsequently had a cardio seal device installed. Many problems happened after the stroke. I had not only the stroke on my right side, left side was at first completely useless. Right after the closure I had multiple bouts of pericarditis. My pericardium was full and I essentially checked out. They had to perform another heart surgery on me by 1) putting a window in @0 utilizing two tubes they had to drain a ton of volume from my heart sack.
I have also been on stroke study groups. for multiple issues.
Long and short- I would go have your self checked out by a neurologist asap. May save your life or, make it better..
my.$02
S

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.