Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sub-acute Rehab
j22frosty posted:
Hello. My husband had a major, serious, hemorrhagic stroke on March 16. After almost 8 weeks in the ICU, he was transferred to a Medical Rehab Unit (MRU), an acute facility. He has spent almost 2 months at this location, taking over 3 hours of speech, occupational and physical therapy 6 days a week. Progress has been good but he still cannot walk or perform simple tasks to take care of himself (e.g. dress himself, wash his lower extremities). The therapists have explained that it is not the weakness on the left side preventing him from completing these tasks but the brain needs to rewire itself to tell the arm and leg to make the proper moves.

In the meantime, most of his of his serious medical problems have been resolved. The caseworker has now told us that my husband needs to be moved to a sub-acute facility where the amount of therapy may not be the same.

I am petrified to move because in New York State, where we reside, sub-acute facilities are in a building with skilled nursing home patients. I have been told if he does not make progress (i.e. reaches a plateau), he could be transferred to the skilled nursing home and receive no more therapy!

Our plan has been to get as much therapy as possible and to take my husband home, even if it means having help at home daily.

However, I never knew that treatment could be stopped so suddenly and quickly.

I have read books about plasticity, brain rewiring and "say NO to the plateau!" but now at a loss on how to put these things in action!?

Can you please advise?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.