Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Sub-acute Rehab
    j22frosty posted:
    Hello. My husband had a major, serious, hemorrhagic stroke on March 16. After almost 8 weeks in the ICU, he was transferred to a Medical Rehab Unit (MRU), an acute facility. He has spent almost 2 months at this location, taking over 3 hours of speech, occupational and physical therapy 6 days a week. Progress has been good but he still cannot walk or perform simple tasks to take care of himself (e.g. dress himself, wash his lower extremities). The therapists have explained that it is not the weakness on the left side preventing him from completing these tasks but the brain needs to rewire itself to tell the arm and leg to make the proper moves.

    In the meantime, most of his of his serious medical problems have been resolved. The caseworker has now told us that my husband needs to be moved to a sub-acute facility where the amount of therapy may not be the same.

    I am petrified to move because in New York State, where we reside, sub-acute facilities are in a building with skilled nursing home patients. I have been told if he does not make progress (i.e. reaches a plateau), he could be transferred to the skilled nursing home and receive no more therapy!

    Our plan has been to get as much therapy as possible and to take my husband home, even if it means having help at home daily.

    However, I never knew that treatment could be stopped so suddenly and quickly.

    I have read books about plasticity, brain rewiring and "say NO to the plateau!" but now at a loss on how to put these things in action!?

    Can you please advise?

    Helpful Tips

    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.