Skip to content
Liver function on fioricet
fioricet posted:
I am a 34yo female who has taken fioricet (butalbital is a barbiturate) daily for the past 7 years. Started for pain relief for migraines and began rebound headache use which developed into a daily habit. Have taken between 1 and 20 pills per day during the 7 years. Am taking 5-6 per day currently. Having a hard time quitting 100% and could use advice. I am concerned about liver damage due to the fact that fioricet contains 325mg of acetaminophen/tab, so 12 tabs would meet the daily dose of 4g and that is for short-term use. Just got a blood test back with 8.3 total protein and 4.2 globulin and 0.9 albumin/glob ratio. Should I be concerned about liver damage?

Taximan283 responded:
You should ask your doc about Liver damage. I'll tell you should start doing a slow wean off of Fioricet. It's a very bad and dangerous pill. You can't quit it CT. You have to stop it slowly. You can't just quit Barbiturates.

0112358 responded:
I know this is an old discussion, but my heart goes out to you and I sincerely hope that you have since been able to get off those meds.

I have intermittently taken Fiorinal w/Codeine (aka Butalbital, Fioricet, &c) for... geez, about 30-years since I was about 10-years, old for severe migraines. I have several times quit it cold-turkey, but I agree with Taximan's good advice below. With a habit that substantial it would be very dangerous for you -- or anyone else with a habit that big -- to quit cold-turkey.

Again, I very much hope that you have since been able to wean yourself off, and are now quit of that habit. If not, I wish you all the luck in the world, and there is no time like the present to begin the wean off those meds.

Please feel free to contact me for support, should you still need it.

Warmest regards,

0112358 responded:
Oh, and I have a liver-function test coming up and looked up this discussion out of the same concerns you had or have. That being said it is not a habit for me, and I take other (new, fancy, and unfortunately very expensive) migraine meds in order that I do NOT develop a habit.

Best new-fangled, fancy migraine med I've come across by far is Frova. Downfall aside from the expense, but that you can only take 9/month (that is a medical limitation, not an insurance limitation). I have at times been able to get samples, which is a huge help, but they are very hard to come by. It truly sucks that migraine meds like Fiorinal w/Codeine are REALLY cheap in comparison to the non habit-forming drugs like Frova.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.