Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oxycodone vs Methadone Halflife Question Please read
Wormzer3 posted:
I just kicked a 7 month oxycodone habit and am feeling so much better. My life is changing in ways I could have only dreamed of a few months ago.

My question is concerning my now ex-girlfriend. She had the same problem with oxycodone that I did and instead of going to medical detox like me she has been weening herself off of the drug with the assistance of her doctor.

This is the scenario. As of last week she was taking one 30mg oxycodone every 4 hours. I just got off the phone with her and she says that she has switched over to methadone. Now she is taking two 10mg methadone every 4 hours and thinks that she has cut down her consumption by 10mg. I was furious when I heard this because I was under the impression that methadone has a much greater half life than oxycodone. After a long discussion I still had not convinced her that she had actually increased her dosage and not decreased.

My question is this. Did she actually increase her dosage and therefore increase her bodies opiate tolerance? If so how much is the equivalent of 120mg methadone per day to 180mg of oxycodone per day?

If anyone could settle this with actual medical data it would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading and your replies.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Taximan283 responded:
I used to have several online narcotic converter sites that I trusted. But the data I'm getting for Mdone is not making sense. I found a chart that says 10 mg of Mdone = 15 to 30 mg of Oxy. If we the low end of this comparison, then 12 mg a day is right. But I know from past personal experience that these charts are much less than perfect. So don't take this too serious. Here is a link to where this chart is:

http://www.globalrph.com/narcotic.htm

As far as I know the half life of Mdone is between 30 to 48 hours, and with Oxy it's 3 - 6 hours.

There are a lot of other things to consider besides just the numbers. Because the half life is longer, the wds last longer to.

I didn't have good luck with Mdone when I tried to detox with it. IMO your gf is taking it too many times a day. Due to the long half life it's not necessary to do that. People in Mdone clinics take it once a day. So I'm wondering about the doc who's helping her. Do you think he knows what he's doing?

Where did you go to detox, and exactly what do you mean by medical detox?

If you post again, please include your ages?

Taximan283 replied to Taximan283's response:
There are several errors in the above post. Sorry. I'm not sure how that happened.
It should say this:

I used to have several online narcotic converter sites that I trusted. But the data I'm getting for Mdone is not making sense. I found a chart that says 10 mg of Mdone = 15 to 30 mg of Oxy. If we use the low end of this comparison, then 120 mg a day is right. But I know from past personal experience that these charts are much less than perfect. So don't take this too serious. Here is a link to where this chart is:

http://www.globalrph.com/narcotic.htm

As far as I know the half life of Mdone is between 30 to 48 hours, and with Oxy it's 3 - 6 hours.

There are a lot of other things to consider besides just the numbers. Because the half life is longer, the wds last longer to.

I didn't have good luck with Mdone when I tried to detox with it. IMO your gf is taking it too many times a day. Due to the long half life it's not necessary to do that. People in Mdone clinics take it once a day. So I'm wondering about the doc who's helping her. Do you think he knows what he's doing?

Where did you go to detox, and exactly what do you mean by medical detox?

If you post again, please include your ages?

Damifino59 responded:
I don't have the HL figures or dosage equivalents available but I can tell you this from personal experience.She's jumping from the frying pan into the fire.MD is the nastiest drug I know of and it should be banned.Tell her whatever she does,not to try getting off that much dope by herself and her Dr oughta have his lic. revoked. 120mg of methadone is a LOT ! Have her get to a REAL Dr just as soon as she can to help her get off that crap ASAP or she's gonna have a problem she may never be able to lick.I can promise you one thing.She will not be able to stop taking that much by herself.The withdrawals are not fatal,but if she tries to cold turkey she will wish and pray they were.

angelo212 replied to Damifino59's response:
Can you list the Doctors name so I can deal with him as he should have his license revoked. I don't agree with damifinos response as methadone saves lives everyday and is relieving alot of peoples pain. Just because he or she had a hard time withdrawing from it doesn't make it bad. I kicked methadone in jail more then once (heck more then 4 times) and it is just like kicking any opiate except it last much much longer.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to angelo212's response:
WebMD doesn't allow the discussion of personal physicians by name-either good or bad-if you wish to do that the two of you need to take it off the message board and discuss it via email. If you would like to do that-add a non personal email address (like you might get from hotmail or yahoo-not your ISP) to either your exchange profile or to this thread.

sunnwayne replied to angelo212's response:
Methadone is definetly the worst and for your comment then how come you have had to detox 4 times. you should of been succesful the first time. no? I,ve got three months sober I've been on methadone for 7 years and the clinic originally gave it to me for vicodin and oxycotin withdrawel. the worst mistake. Methadone clinics should only give it to herion withdrawl patients that was what it was intended for and now they pass it out like candy. i was taking 200mg a day and tried detoxing 22 times with trying to commit suicide often the normal me would of not done it, but that nasty drug the government allows to give our citizens is worse than any drug on the street. So do your homework and detox off it completely before you give ANY advice.......I'm still batteling no sleep and daily migraines but the worst is over. i didnt kill my self like the 45 persent of people who attemp it comming off. discusting but the drug is good rite your full of it.

sunnwayne replied to angelo212's response:
No its not logical its reality. Your asking for the doctor to have his license revoked because he speaks some truth? What about the people who actually suffer from this drug? not everyone thinks taking a drug daily to maitaine is worth it! I'm sure there are some out there who truely beleive they need it. and thats not what I'm trying to discourage from. But were all human and if you continue to put a drug in your body your body requires it and ruins the natural process. and methadone is FATAL no one tells you that though. Giving some one advice to go from oxy's to methadone is worse and thats the TRUTH! You want to have my license revoked too!?

mommamuffinntexas responded:
I am just detoxing off methadone, I have been on it for 3 yrs. And being subscribed 4 times a day is not helping your friend. Methadone is very strong and has a long half life so she should dose once daily if she is using it for maintence

Taximan283 replied to mommamuffinntexas's response:
Hey MM, Nice to see you. I don't think you've been here in years. I'd like to ask you a few things about Mdone. Do you go to a clinic, where you are given 1 dose a day, or do you have the pills and take it at home? I forget if you had any pain issues. But if you do, does the Mdone help with your pain? Does it make you depressed, sleepy, tired etc. Or have you reached a point where it gives you some energy? Usually most opiates give a person some energy once the body becomes used to them.

Thanks

angelo212 replied to sunnwayne's response:
I didn't plan on coming off the methadone. I detox because I had no choice, I was locked up. Went on it when I got out because I knew I would get high again. Why did you go up to 200mg. That's your fault. You didn't detox the right way if you tried 22 times. I could go on and on but it's not worth after reading your comments.

angelo212 replied to sunnwayne's response:
What fiels is your license in? Can you give me a link or reference showing methadone being fatal?

angelo212 replied to Taximan283's response:
Clinics only dose once a day. Taximans friend must be getting a script from a pain doctor. I know this is an old thread.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Effexor Withdrawal
I don't think this was mentioned in this discussion, just skimmed through. I know not everything works this same for everyone, but I came ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.