Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My problem with Alcohol
Caie246 posted:
I am bored and lonely and rush home every day after work and start
drinking. I suffer from anxiety and depression and I don't know if the
drinking is causing that or if the anxiety and depression are causing
me to drink. I can not afford a detox facility and want to try to detox
on my own but I hear the results are not very successful.

I am open to all comments and would like to hear from those of
you who have had or are currently having this sort of issue.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you tried doing something other than going home to drink when you get home? Have you tried AA meetings after work?

Shawnie_ responded:
AA is free, and helps most people (who work the 12 step program) to overcome their anxiety and depression (as it arrises).
While I thoughtalcohol and drugs were the answer to my problems, they eventually became my problem.

But giving up the drug was not the answer, because I still had my initial problems.

I don't go to AA so that I won't use - so much as I go to keep me from getting into a state of mind that makes me think that using is the only way out.

Kills bordem too. :)

Caie246 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I used to go to the gym, maybe I should try that again.
I went to an AA Meeting on Sunday and it was great as
I met allot of really nice people who seemed to care. I
know there are several meetings right down where I work
and I am going to check into to attending those as well.

Thank you for your input.

Caie246 replied to Shawnie_'s response:
Yes I attended a meeting on Sunday, it was great as I met
allot of nice people that listened to me and really seemed
to care; I will definitely be going back there.

Thanks for the feedback.

gailb54 responded:
Hi Caie,

I'm glad you went to some AA meetings and met good people. I hope they are able to help you, but I'll check back here tomorrow or so if you want to ask me any questions about my drinking and what helped me quit. Basically I did go to a hospital for 3 days, but then started attending AA and it was the AA that kept me sober. Anyone can quit, as I did quite a few times-lol, but staying with it is what you will learn in AA. I know it can be very rough in the beginning but it not only does get better, but it gets really great. Take this one day or an hour at a time. This was a long time ago for me, I've been sober for 13 years, but still I have things that are hard and many of the things I learned in AA are the things that help me now. I sure hope you are finding what you need to help you find a better way to live.

gail

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Caie246's response:
The gym and AA sound like great ways to avoid the isolation that seems to add to your drinking. I am glad you are thinking of some ideas.

Caie246 replied to gailb54's response:
Hello gail,

Thank you so much for your positive input. Did you go to AA meetings every day? I work full-time so it it difficult for me but find myself having a glass of wine again at night and believe me I really want to cut it out all together. Sometimes
I come home from work and am so bored and lonely that I
want to turn to the bottle, but have been getting myself out
for a 40 minute walk instead.

So even after so many years you still have temptations?

What state do you live in?

Regards,
Carol

Hi Louise,

Thank you.

What state do you live in?

Carol

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Caie246's response:
On days like today I think I live in the state of WebMD. :-)

Most people share location information in their profiles if they wish to share it here. It is one of those age/sex/location questions that generally members answer before someone asks here at WebMD.

I understand.

Tu_maldita responded:
okay, AA is a good thing but my advice is go somewhere that can teach u to LIMIT your drinking instead of just cutting it dry. It is okay to drink.....just don't get drunk everyother day. I don't know how old u are but with younger adults AA seems kinda lame so u have to find an alternative, something where your needs of having a good time are still met and u don't sit in a room and talk about god.

An_226981 replied to Caie246's response:
Carol, are you still on this site ? i just now signed up on here, i too struggle with drinking wine. i stopped as of tues. night when my youngest son told me he was not going to have anything to do with me right now, i use to drink when i was young and both my parents were alcoholics, trying to make a long story short, any way i am 50 yrs old now. my husband and i about 5 yrs ago started visisting wineries, we loveed it, but for me now i love it a bit too much. i dont work except cleaning for my sons once a week, and driving every week to where my husband is deployed for a year at Camp Atterbury, so i basically live out of a suitcase, but when i am home i too get bored , tired lonely so drink wine, but lately its been every day and too excess. i have been to A.A years ago with my mother and it can help, its a support group but for one i am not sure i belive its a desease. i think its an addiction just like anything else we can become addicted too. at least you work, but if you come home to an empty house i undertsand how that can be. my husband was in Iraq back in 2004 , so i know that kind of emptiness. any way if you want to hook up on here just to talk and maybe try and keep each other accountable i would be willing. i know i need the help also, the cravings can be so bad when ya want a ddrink and as of now i have told all 3 of my kids i am done for now, this is the 2nd day and its not easy, but to go to a detox or rehad, not sure about that,it can be good initially but ultimatly its up to us, my mom was in and out of a lot of treatment centers. well hey didnt mean to go on and on, i could probably write a book if i told it all. well hope your doing better. my name is Jill live in Indiana.

Caie246 replied to Tu_maldita's response:
I hear that!

Caie246 replied to An_226981's response:
Hello Jill,

Too bad we don't live closer to each other, we could be a good
support system to one another...lol. I finally quit the wine about 1 month ago. I go to 2 support groups but they are for
depression and anxiety and it's a great bunch of people and I've made some friends. I have my Bible study also so I'm out of the house 3 nights a week. I now am not working due to
my disibility and have recently been diagnosed with Bi-polar 2. Don't worry, I'm not crazy, just either really depressed or
hypo manic; I do not have the type 1 where the mania is really
bad. I feel foolish telling you this as I do not know you or what you will think.

Please do yourself a favor - stop drinking; you will feel better each day you do not drink.

Stay in touch...

Carol in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.