Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to cope with leg cramps/pain from withdrawal
An_227049 posted:
I am looking to help my husband who is in the 6 day of withdrawal from a 30 year old painkiller addiction. We are under a doctor's care but haven't found anything that is helping the leg cramps. We would prefer to use something non-narcotic. Can someone help us?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you tried the usual treatments for leg cramps--massage, warm baths, bananas/potassium, calf stretches, and making sure he is super well hydrated?

Taximan283 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
If you have a doc helping you then ask the doc for Baclofen. It's a muscle relaxer that stops the shakes from wds, and it works very well with the legs. It stops the shakes as well as some of the cramps.

The other good med for leg cramps is Flexeril. That's the brand name, but there is a cheaper generic. I use Flexeril often, especially at night. It really helps leg cramps. I'm not sure if he can take Baclofen and Flexeril together. The doc can tell you that. My advice is this. If cramps are the #1 problem then I'd go with Flexeril. If the constant leg movements from wds are the #1 problem, then I'd go with Baclofen. Again, the doc should be able to help tell you which is better to use.

choclab88 replied to Taximan283's response:
I suggest Motrin or Ibuprofen. He is going to just have to go through it. I did. I don't suggest Flexeril because if he is addicted to pain pills he will definitely get hooked on Flexeril. I know nothing about Baclofen. And, plus, if he just goes through the pain, chances are he will not want to pick up any narcotics again.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to choclab88's response:
That was my concern with Flexeril as well.

Taximan283 replied to choclab88's response:
Flexeril is not addictive. It's not an opiate, nor a narcotic. And if someone who is an addict takes it he ill not get hooked on it. I'm an addict and I've been taking Flexeril as needed for nighttime leg and foot cramps for about 5 years. So there's no danger of addiction with this drug. If it's needed your husband should take it.

Now just because it's non addictive doesn't mean that certain people won't find a way to abuse it. I've known people that will abuse almost anything. But the drug itself is not an additive substance.

Kelly_Anne80 replied to Taximan283's response:
Hi Everyone,
I'm going through a similar problem right now with my fiance. He's on day 5 of withdrawl from a 2 year addiction to percocet. We have our first appointment to see a doctor tomorrow afternoon, but he's having a problem with leg cramps/muscle soreness and nausea. We've tried ibuprofen but it's not halping at all. I'm assuming both of the drugs mentioned above need to be prescribed by a doctor. Any suggestions on something I can give him while we're waiting? Tomorrow is the soonest we can get an appointment with anyone.

choclab88 replied to Kelly_Anne80's response:
Well, my only suggestion is just to hold on....He needs to go through this to hopefully reinforce never getting on Percs again...The Percocet takes time to get out of his system....This is part of it. Please just be 100% with the doctor tomorrow.

Kelly_Anne80 replied to choclab88's response:
Thank you so much for replying, and for the advice. I do really believe that he wants help, and will be honest with the doctor tomorrow. I was trying to find something to help with the pain because he's still trying to go to work and everything in the mean time. It's been really hard getting information on who to talk to, doctors names, treatment options, etc. I'm not really sure what to do to help him, I've never dealt with anything like this before. I can't be with him 24/7, and I'm just affraid if the pain gets to be too much, he'll start using again to deal with it.

htrabbit replied to Kelly_Anne80's response:
The best treatment is Narcotics Anonymous.

Mozpny replied to choclab88's response:
I realize your poor response was three years ago. To suggest that someone go through pain during addiction withdrawal is so insensitive.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.