Skip to content
I think I am going through withdrawal
digger1218 posted:
I just had my 10th spine surgery inside the past three years. I have been on hydromorphone 8 mg. 6 times a day. For the last month my Dr. has had me on a fentanyl patch 75mg. change every 3 days. Now he has prescribed hydrocodone 10/325 x 8 per day. but I am getting very bad perspiring, nausea, and very anxious. Also constant runny nose. I have seen enough movies to suspect that I am having withdrawal symptoms. I never thought anything like this would happen to me and I am embarrassed and feel guilty. What can I do.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Call your doctor. There is nothing to feel guilty about.

Taximan283 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well yes, call your doc. He either needs to give you a lot more hydrocodone, or something stronger. Do yourself a favor, and don't accept Oxycodone. The wds are much worse. And yes those are wds. However, since you weren't taking these pills for no reason, you have nothing to feel guilty about. 10 surgeries in 3 years is no joke. I'm not surprised you got hooked on the pain killers. It's not your fault. If you want to try and go through the wds, I have a 2 suggestions. Try Mylanta for the nausea. They have other drugs they can give you, but you need a script. You can also try Benadryl for the runny nose. I believe that's the one that works for that. There's 2 kinds of antihistamines. One is for a stuffy nose, and the other dry's up the nose. I think Benadryl dry's up the nose. I wish I had an answer for the sweating, I don't. If you find one tell me. The same thing with the anxiety. Actually, Ativan and Xanax can help, but be careful, because those too are addictive.

digger1218 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you. I think I'm through the worst of it. Everything was compounded by the added stress of my wife having a perforated bowel and almost dying 2 days after I got out of the hospital. She was in for 3 weeks and came home with an open wound and a colostomy. I talked to my ortho dr. yesterday and he thinks I came thru it OK. Prescribed me some flexoril for the muscle twitches. But I elected to stay away from valium or xanex. I really dont under stand why anyone would ever want to get involved in any kind of drugs for a recreational purpose. This was the scariest thing I've ever been through. I was literally a different person and I'm lucky I kept my life and family.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to digger1218's response:
Thanks for checking back in with us. I hope your wife is on the mend soon too.

digger1218 replied to Taximan283's response:
Thanx Taximan,
I appreciate your advice and I did check with my doc. He's giving me something to calm down and I believe I've gotten thru the worse. I still can't believe this happened to me. I was so carefull and checked with my Dr. about every 20 minutes to make sure I wasn't getting addicted. Oh well on with life. If anyone has any questions as to what not to take...........if they offer you hydromorphone, turn and run and don't look back.
God Bless

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to digger1218's response:
Glad you have talked to your doctors and got some help!

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.