Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Functional Alcoholic
An_227064 posted:
New here~
I finally went to my first meeting. Very strange at first but too familiar at the same time. I started to notice a problem when I started hiding my "stash" from my husband, who by the way has been Very patient, understanding and loving. I am familiar with meetings because it has been a part of my life since I was a "young one", I have a parent that I went to meetings with when I was about 5-7 years old.
I started this discussion by saying "Functional Alcoholic" because I have a steady job for the last 23 years.... I know, hard to believe during these times. I never lost a day of work from drinking. I have passed out many times but never lost a function with my son's activities, school and other functions. I start work VERY early and always arrive 10 to 15 mins. prior to start time.
My DH was the one that "guided" me in to attending the first meeting. I was ready. I don't want my son to resent me the way I do with my parent.
My day would start by going to work, getting home and by 3:30, having a drink and by time for bed (9:30 pm) a pint of Vodka (each night), passing out til' AM.
BTW! NEVER EVER DROVE DRUNK! Too many friends and loved ones I know have been murdered by a drunk driver.
Just a little story about the "Functional Alcoholic"
I have been lurking for a while now and just got the courage to post.

choclab88 responded:
Good for you and I hope you continue to go to meetings. One day at a time you can do it. Trust me!

kittykatt0868 replied to choclab88's response:
Thanks! I already know the Serenity Prayer and the One Day at a time. Not easy. My habit of "1 Pint a night" for the last 4 years is going to be a bit of a challenge to say the least. But I am determined to do it 1st for my son, myself and my DH, (almost 20 years)
Thanks Again!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome. You must be feeling so scared but relieved right now to have gone to your first meeting.

How old is your son?

An_227065 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks~
He is 11 years old. He is a GREAT young man, who is sensitive and kind. Going out now to buy the rest of school supplies.
Thanks Again for the welcome!

SophieSebring; responded:
I am going through this and I am stopping today. Did you have physical withdrawels? My doc gave me some meds to help just in case but I do not want to use them if I do not need them.

Taximan283 replied to SophieSebring;'s response:
Sophie,

Did you have physical wds when you stayed sober for a few days? If you didn't, then you shouldn't now neither. And Valium is the wrong drug to take. Valium is known for causing an alcohol like high. It's also very addictive. Be very, very careful with those pills. It will be so easy to trade Vodka for Valium. He should have given you Ativan or Xanax. These 2 don't cause the same high as Valium does. They are also both addictive, but they can be used for years without getting addicted, if you are determined to not get addicted. I know because I've been doing it for about 10 years now. But Valium is a different thing. I always became hooked on Valium when I had that. So whether you use them or not, next time ask your doc for Ativan. Use Xanax if you want help sleeping, and Ativan if you just need to calm down the anxiety feelings.

kittykatt0868 replied to SophieSebring;'s response:
Hi Sophie~
No withdrawals yet, just a little shaking of the hands. I so feel like a drink right now though. My parent who is the alcoholic I mentioned is going out with us tomorrow for dinner, so we thought... But now because they can't eat after 3:00pm we have to change everyones plan to make it easier. It is always that way. It drives us all nuts. (siblings). I am the youngest of 5 in almost as many years.
I am not going to have a drink though it just sounds good. I have not been on any meds. for any reason. I am afraid of getting addicted to them. (HA HA) I was on Zoloft for a VERY brief time and did not like the feeling. Can't remember now why but just didn't like it.
I have told some family members about what has been going on and I told them they don't have to hide or not drink around me. This is something my parent to this day still gets very upset and obsessed about. After all its not their problem its mine. My parent will always comment on "oh what kind of wine or what kind of beer is that". It has been almost 40 years... Anyway, I'm going to spend time now with my son and DH. Have a great night all.
PS~ Sorry I couldn't help re: meds. Sophie. I'm sure between you and the DR. you can overcome the withdrawals. If you even have any. Good luck.

kittykatt0868 replied to kittykatt0868's response:
Good Morning all~
Well I survived the dinner! (lunch) and NOT a drop to drink last night. I would always get very uptight after being with my parent. BUT, not yesterday. Yes, I was upset but, not to the point where I would have a drink. I couldn't believe it myself.
I hope the trend continues. My sons B-day is on the same day I would have gone to a meeting so I will see if I can call one of the many ladies that greeted me on my first meeting.
BTW~ I was the orig. post of this discussion, I don't know why I hit anon_68779.
Have a great day!

choclab88 replied to kittykatt0868's response:
My habit was of ten years...It is not easy but I really hope you do it first for you, then your family. If you don't get sober, you won't be good for anybody.

Please, please call the women in your group. The women are a huge support in my life and I attribute a whole lot of my sobriety to them. Talk, talk, talk all that you can.

kittykatt0868 replied to choclab88's response:
Thanks choclab88-
I will be calling this afternoon when I get home. I don't know any of them yet. I just met them for about 10-15 mins. the other night. They all seem to very nice. I am looking forward to getting to know them better.
I will be spending a lot more time with my son, he is new in a school and I can see he has some worries already. Nothing serious, just a new school.
I'll keep posting and look forward to the future.

Awesome...Please just tell each of the women how you are feeling HONESTLY! I can 99% guarantee you they have once been where you are. I was....In very bad shape. If you keep calling people and start doing some work on yourself, you will see how your life will change dramatically...hang in there!

SophieSebring; replied to kittykatt0868's response:
Good for you. Today is day one for me and I feel just fine but then I normally do not have a drink until around 9 pm. I always make sure that I have my dishes done, clothes ready for the next day of work, etc... I decided to start today even though I had enough vodka left for a couple of drinks. I threw it in the garbage on my way out the door. Since I am so exhausted when I get home from work I am always falling asleep on the couch. I think it may be easier for me if I have my days busy that way I am too tired to want to drink. Like I said I think a lot of it comes from being bored and alone. Not lonely, just by myself a lot of nights.
I am so happy for you. Keep up the good work

SophieSebring; replied to Taximan283's response:
No I did not have any wd's before and I didnt have a drink for 4 or 5 days. I was out of town at my mother in laws for my ex-husbands funeral. I did have a small glass of white wine one night but ended up tossing it down the drain as I really do not like wine. I socialized with the family a lot so my mind really was not on drinking. As far as the valiums go. I honestly do not like them as they give me a headache and always make me feel like crap. I doubt that I will need them. I thought it might be helpful to get me through those first few days, if I have any physical problems such as the shakes and things. I think if I just keep myself busy then I will be okay.
Thanks for your support. I will keep you posted on how I am doing.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.