Skip to content
Please Welcome Lainey
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
I will be letting go of my WebMD communities on 9/24. I have learned a lot from tending this community and have enjoyed working with you.

As my favorite singer says in her song "Fighting Chance"
You are the bravest, newest person I've met and if this is as hard as it gets today yeah you've got a fighting chance.

On this community, you are lucky to have Lainey joining you as moderator. For the next two weeks, she will shadow me here getting to know the community-piping in here and there.

Please welcome her and Lainey, if you will, introduce yourself.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thanks so much Louise and hello community!

My name is Lainey and I am very happy to be your new moderator. I have worked as a moderator for almost 5 years now.

I am the mother of 6 children. 4 children are grown and 2 are teens. I am also a grandmother of 3. We are a nuclear family and very proud of all our children. My husband (of 14 years) is a firefighter and also owns a construction business.

Looking forward to getting better acquainted with this community and helping in any way I can.

Lainey

Taximan283 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hello Lainey and Welcome,

I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm Jack, aka Taximan. I've been here about 6 years now, and I believe there's only 1 other person here as long as I am. I suppose I'm the unofficial expert here. I didn't plan on that happening, it just did. I want to explain how and why it happened.

When I first came here I had just gone onto Suboxone. Something I had learned a long time ago was that when trying a new drug, legal or illegal, the best thing to do is to speak to other people who have been using it. So I came seeking information on Sub. I was frantic, because like most Sub docs, my 1st Sub doc had me on way too much, and I didn't feel right. When I told that to my Sub doc his answer was to take more. I followed his instructions, which resulted in me feeling worse. All my years of drug use were telling me something was wrong. But I wasn't sure what. It simply didn't make sense, what was happening to me, and I desperately needed to speak to other Sub users. So for several days I made posts here, and no one answered me. No one at all. I was frantic, and I was desperate. Finally 1 person answered me. This is the other the long time member I mentioned. She really didn't know anything about Sub, but at least she answered me. However, I spent several very panicky days feeling all, all alone. It was very scary, to say the least. I finally found other Sub users on other boards, and I learned how to use Sub. The active opiate in Suboxone is unlike every other drug we use. There is even a saying for it. With Sub Less = More. As addicts we're so used to always needing to take more of a drug when we don't feel right, but with Sub the answer is almost always to take less. Taking less feels like you took more, and you feel better. But when you're in wds, and in a state of panic, that's hard to believe. Yet it is the truth.

Therefore, I try to always answer everyone who comes here. Especially if no one else does. And unfortunately, very often no one else does. I won't forget the panic I felt when no one would answer me. I was frantic, and it was a terrible feeling. I don't want anyone else to go through that, so I answer everyone. I'm also a cross between a psychologist/medical doctor and a philosopher, besides being sick with this addiction disease myself. So I am well suited to answer most questions. I have even formulated and put forth my own theory on what this disease is, exactly. I consider it a mental, emotional illness. I believe it's being caused by something that's amiss in the brain, and I believe that what that is varies greatly from person to person. This is how I explain the great variance in our drugs of choice. I believe that which drugs a person prefers has to do with what's wrong in the brain. As one example I'll tell you that I did try Heroin a few times and I hated it. I hated it so much that I have a hard time believing we have a problem with this drug. I see no use for it whatsoever. And yet some addicts think it's the best thing there is. But to me it doesn't cause a high at all, if we define a high as something fun and enjoyable. I explain this as what's wrong in the brain. Whatever's wrong in my brain, is not made better by Heroin. Actually my brain is made best by stimulants, but they're just as addictive as Heroin, and therefore I can't use them. However, I find Wellbutrin helpful, as it is a type of stimulant. Anyway, you will be able to get to know me much better by my many posts.

So welcome once again. I hope you enjoy being here.

choclab88 replied to Taximan283's response:
I am glad you just posted what you posted...I am so glad to come on here also (even though we have different opinions Taximan, lol,) I do believe we have one common goal: for the addict to come on here and get help some way or the other without dying. I try to answer people too. Welcome Lainey. I am in a 12-step program which I attribute to saving my life and I have been clean 3 1/2 years. I so agree that when I needed help, I had to talk to other people immediately and I am so glad I found this message board.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Taximan283's response:
Thank you for the welcome Jack, I have read many of your replies and know you are very caring. I hope to help in any way I can.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to choclab88's response:
Thanks choclab88,

It's fantastic to have many views on this community. As members, we all can learn new ideas from both. Thank you both so much for contributing and showing support to the members that ask for help here.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.