Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weaning off methadone
curtdizz posted:
I have been on methadone for 5 months. I got up to 70 mgs and was nodding out everyday. I finally stabalized at 48 mgs and have been there for 3 months. I am weaning off at 2 mgs per day. Is this too fast? plz help

sunnwayne responded:
it really depends on your body mind and soul. You can beat this if you get it mind over matter. i have heard some people who come off of it at 5mg or even 1 mg aweek have mild symptoms when coming offof it, but you havent been on it to long, so my advice is get it convinced in your head that, you dont need or want this crap, and get a good support system because severe depression comes in you dont want to be a lone and get as active as possible it helps to burn the chemicals out of th fatty tissue, good luck on what route u take but get off of it before it ruins yuor life:)

Taximan283 replied to sunnwayne's response:
2 mg a day is very fast. Usually you cut the dose once a week, or once a month. But as the previous poster said, it varies from 1 person to another. I say go as fast as you can handle, without a relapse. Mdone especially, takes 48 hours to get half way out of your system. So if you cut the dose today, you won't feel that for 2 days. Therefore if you keep cutting the dose daily, you may wake up 1 day and it will hit you all at once. If this happens you may then increase the dose too much just to get out of the wds. However, if this doesn't happen to you, then you're fine.

Since you were nodding out on it, the dose was way too high. So until you get down to a better dose, cutting down will be easy. But at some point it may become hard. If that happens, don't get discouraged. Just slow down on the cuts. You have to take it as it comes. But I agree with the answer before mine. You weren't on it long, so the quicker you can quit, the better.

Btw, what were you on before the Mdone? What you were taking, as well as how long and how much, will also influence how hard or easy it will be to get off the Mdone.

Keep us posted, and let us know if you need help.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.