Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How much is too much morphine?
helper57 posted:
My friend admits that she is addicted to morphine. How much is too much? She is afraid to tell her dr. how much she really takes,although she told him she wanted to get off of them, and he gave her methadone. She abused them also, and is out of them,and is sick. I told her she needs to be honest with the dr.,and I would really appreciate any other advice I can give to her. Thank you.

TDXSP08 responded:
There is no maximum dosage on morphine like there is on other Medications if a patient can take 1000MG a day without signifigant respiratory problems or coma and thats what it takes to control there pain well so be it but there are allot stronger pain killers in the Dr.'s black bag that at much lower doses will provide greater pain relief than straight morphine, and are less likely to cause respiratory depression or collapse leading to a potential fatal cardiac episode such as Morphine can trigger.

God luck with helping your friend, Stay a "helper" do not become an "Enabler".

Peace

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

How to detox and how long does it take from Marijuana? ASAP
any information on how and how long does it take to pass a foriesic test,help????? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.