Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tramadol Addiction
Lubon1 posted:
Hello all. Can someone please help. I have had a physical addiciton to tramadol for a few years now. I have told my Doctor I am desperate to get off this crap but, I get very, very sick with all the withdrawal symptoms most of us already know about. He prescribed Oxazepam to help with these withdrawals and anxiety and such. First I was wondering if anyone had used this med for that purpose before and how it worked AND does anyone have ideas of what works best when
coming off Tramadol. I am process of tapering but when I get to a certain level I get sick as a dog. I am at about 10 50mg tablets a day now and want to go with that for 5 days then, 8 for 5 days, 6 for 5 days, and so on. I know if I don't have something in place to curtail the withdrawal symptoms I am going to be screwed. My Doctor was very positive about how this Oxazepam should help as it helps people coming off alcohol addiction which can be highly dangerous as well.
Anyone, please give me your ideas or thoughts. I HAVE TO GET OFF THIS CRAP! I HATE IT! Thank you and God be with all trying to get off drugs and get their lives back!
Lou

mmccormick09 responded:
I struggled with a tramadol addiction for nearly 6 years. It started out innocently enough, I was taking it for pain from endometriosis. It worked wonders for the pain and made me feel amazing. I began taking more and more until eventually I was taking nearly 30 a day. I was constantly concerned whether I had enough pills and where I would get the next prescription. I ended up having two seizures related to high levels of the drug in my system. I'd often start to doze off even while standing and was constantly sick to my stomach...at my absolute worst, for nearly three days in a row, I recall hallucinations and can vaguely remember saying things that made no sense because I couldn't sleep on tramadol...I looked awake but in reality, my brain was in a sleep state. And the withdrawals...as I'm sure you know, they are brutal.

I quit by tapering off the medication very slowly. The key was to have someone else (in my case, my fiancee) hold the medication and help me monitor my progress by tracking how many pills I was taking per day. Though I didn't use it, I have heard of the oxazepam and I hear it helps immensely. I eventually beat my addiction and have not touched that horrible drug in almost three years, now! Best of luck to you!

TDXSP08 replied to mmccormick09's response:
Oxazepam is a benzodiazepine Similar to Lorazepam (Ativan) or Clonazepam ( Klonopin) or Diazepam (Valium) they all have some muscle relaxant properties, anti convulsant and anti anxiety properties and all in varying dosages can be potent sedative hypnotic agents and some can be exploited for a different use such as Clonazepam is used alot in Patients With Panic Attacks because it is long acting and stays in the blood stream longer than some of its other relatives for this reason its also given frequently to seizure patients. so be careful with that med it can be addicting as well . and good luck at getting clean and sober its worth the trip.

Peace

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.