Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
SEX & Medicinal marijuana
An_227130 posted:
My boyfriend uses medicinal marijuana, for which he has an ID card/prescription for. He has had many joint problems, Spinal cracks and degeneration etc.....While I dont have a problem with this...my work may. I work for an employer that does SUPRISE drug UA testing. Is it possible that while haing sex, kissing, etc..that the drug may "seep" into my system and leave traces in amount enough to show on a random drug screen? Perhaps from semen, sweat, or saliva???

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
Very, very unlikely. There have been many studies done looking at this; exposing people to situations where there are high concentrations of cannabis (smoke-filled rooms.) Generally speaking, the subjects exposed have not tested positive for cannabis. Direct body fluid contact should not be a problem as well. There is ample, medical evidence-based literature to preclude your boyfriend as a defense should you ever test positive for marijuana.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.