Skip to content
Is this an alcoholic?
An_227134 posted:
Someone who sneaks to the corner store to buy one of those cheap 40 oz. malt liquors every night? It's the equivalent of 3 1/2 beers. Sometimes two 40's are purchased. =( Thanks for any opinions. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, just opinions from people who know.

lisalee40 responded:
As a recovering alcoholic and based upon your question, I would have to say that because you chose to use the word 'sneaks,' you already know the answer to your question. One thing with alcoholics/addicts is that we are master manipulators. We will make you see you are making a big deal out of just 'one' drink while in fact, we do know that it is the equivalent of more than one drink. We will try to manipulate your thinking into whatever kind of thinking we 'need' to be able to continue to drink. You know the answer to your question...

Kayap replied to lisalee40's response:
Your assessment of this is correct. I think anyone who feels they need a drink everyday has a problem with alcohol. A dependence or a habit I am not sure. But if it bothers someone who cares about you that you do it and if your behavior changes after you drink it then it is a problem.

I just had a discussion about this with a loved one who drinks everyday. He says he goes to work everyday, never has had a traffic problem, exercises, eats sensibly. But seriously after eight o'clock is checked out. I think that functional alcoholics can hide this so well. But it will eventually sneak up on them and cause some major problems.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.