Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Effects of excessive drugs abuse
An_227136 posted:
I have a question about the excessive use of drugs on the brain. My spouse had used drugs for years. He is a Pharmacist and took prescription drugs. Mostly Hydrocodone. He went into recovery and was clean for many many years, then he relapsed and did it again for almost another year. He has recovered again. Medical staff says he is ready to go back to work but no one has ask me. I am the one with him all the time. They said his memory would come back in a year or so, it has been two years, and it is still bad. What are the effects or permanent side effects to excessive abuse of drugs and will he ever get his memory back? We are now in our twilight years of our lives! Thank you for your help.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
There are many causes for impaired memory. I suggest a full neurocognitive work-up at this time given these circumstances.

An_227137 replied to James Golden, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your time and advice. I will see if I can convince him to do that.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.