Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Legal marijuana?
nannysgrl posted:
What is this stuff they call legal marijuana? Have seen some detrimental actions by one of my sons. I know he is a big proponent of the 'real stuff' but he is also into something i believe they call K2. would like any info that can help me understand why the big personality change in him.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
K-2, or spice, is marketed as an herbal substance. It can either be used as incense or smoked, and it remains legal in the United States. The product contains synthetic compounds (psychoactive substances) similar to THC. The psychoactive substances in K-2 bind very strongly to the CB-1 receptors in the brain but not so strongly to the CB-2 receptors, resulting in very accuentuated psychoactive effects. If a person would use this substance on a regular basis, then cumulative effects on the CB-l brain receptors could explain a personality change.

So far, serious drug reactions such as seratonin syndrome have not been reported, but K-2 abuse is on the rise.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.