Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Never Enough
ryen79 posted:
Hi. I have struggled with substance use for about half my life (16 -32) and through the helf of meetings, coucellor, doctors, medication, prayer, meditation, isolation (to name a few) i have manged to curb my habits; even cigarettes, and caffeine. I did not do it all at once as i had tried that in the past with devestating results, that had me hospitalized and given ECT treatments, after having become delusional and severely depressed. One by one i weaned them out and ten days ago i managed to quit smoking as well. I have a closet addiction to codeine though, and now this is beginning to bother me. I only take tylenol ones, and i am becoming agitated that i cannot be happy with how things are, and the progressive i have made (in quitting alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, IV use, and other powders and pills used mostly experimentally). I realized too, it is common and perhaps necessary to awaken an often dormant spiritual side to ourselves when we become and strive to become clean and sober, and the calling to now take spiritualism to its farthest and purest realms. Ok, those are my thoughts and any feedback and support on how i can find a little more lasting happiness each day would me much appreciated. Bye guys (and girls) :)

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ryen,

I'm sure that others will be responding as you bring up some worthwhile topics. As this board can be a bit on the slow side I hope you'll keep checking back here to see eventual responses.

Welcome to WebMD. :-)

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
It sounds like you have taken on the task of categorizing your addictions and creating criteria to eliminate one substance at a time. This must be both exhausting and frustrating. Your life could be much simpler if you ask yourself: "What do I have to do to stay sober?" There is spirituality to be found in true sobriety, but to get there, you need to be willing to admit you have a problem and seek help. Addiction treatment may be the answer for you; I suggest you speak to an Admissions counselor at a treatment center and be truthful about what you are doing and how you are feeling. I wish you well and also encourage you to attend 12 Step meetings; you can learn a tremendous amount from others who have much in common with you.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.