Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Alcoholism/Depression Help
    Kazman82 posted:
    My wife is an alcoholic, she will not seek help for her condition. She has had NUMEROUS incidents, one resulting in a DUI. She seems to control it for a while, then re-lapses when you least expect it. My children (16 & 18) and I have had enough. After her recent re-lapse, she agreed to go to a rehab facility her mom and sister found for her. When she got there, she sabotaged the admission by insisting she was only staying 5 days because she had to go to work the following Tuesday. Then, she lied to me and the children that she actually was in rehab, when in fact she was staying at her Mom's house and doing daily discussions with her mom's preacher and wife. She STILL insists that she was in the rehab the whole time. To this end, I AM done with her crap. I cannot trust her to drive - I am convinced she will just kill herself or someone else. I really don't feel like I want tobe around her any longer. Is there ANY way, here in the state of Texas, I can get her involuntarily committed to some sort of rehabilitation facility. I know she won't become well until she admits a problem and is ready to deal with it. But I don't want to deal with HER any longer. Can anyone help?
    melly2210 responded:
    I know in FL of some circumstances relating to a DUI where it was mandated that someone be part of a treatment program. There was a woman I knew who did 30 days jail time and the terms of her probation after included not only weekly UA's but she had to actively attend and participate in a drug/alcohol program. In addition, he placed her in a shelter where they could monitor her times coming and going as she had to sign in/out. The judge also required her to write a 10 page essay on her experience in the programs he mandated as well.

    Not sure if this helps or not. Good luck.
    Kayap responded:

    Schedule a visit to an addiction specialist. There are medications now which really help an alcoholic. Help with the cravings and with impulsive behavior. This may be worth your time and money.
    I also suggest you go to meetings and or a counselor and get advice on ways to stop enabling her behavior and to step back to get a look at your life. As you said she really needs to want the help and realize that she needs it. No one can do this for her. Unfortunately some people really need to have some bad things happen. It is already happening to her because her children have had enough. She may realize someday what she lost.
    I hope you find the assistance that you need. You may be able to get your answer by calling the mental health board in your state about the rehab.

    Anon_158160 responded:
    Unfortunately, the disease of alcoholism carries with it a strong element of denial. I had to reach my own 'bottom' - which included being institutionalized - before I finally reached out for help. You can check with Social Services in your area to see if there is any way your wife can be involuntarily committed to rehab; they probably have certain criteria if it is possible. You may need to remove yourself and your children from the home if you feel any of you are in danger; that might be the'wake-up' call that moves her to take positive action.
    Kazman82 replied to Anon_158160's response:
    Thanx ya'll, the advice is greatly appreciated.....I haven't been ignoring you, I've been contemplating what to do. The periods BETWEEN episodes tends to cloud MY thinking that maybe, just maybe it'll be all right. Then yesterday again BAM - right between the eyes. My 17 yr old daughter leaving for college for the first time, we take her up to school and what does mom do - she gets hammered on the way there, gets her feelings hurt that we are upset with her for this, then leaves without even saying goodbye to her daughter. Anon_158160 - I'm gonna look seriously at your suggestion, removing myself and my son from the situation here - as Kayap says this may open her eyes that bad things ARE happening. I'll post back, thanx for everyone's concern.

    Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

    Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

    Helpful Tips

    Will smoking weed effect my everyday life and health due to my age?
    I'm 14 and I've been smoking marijuana since I was 12 due to family problems&a family loss and my grades seem to me slowly going down ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.