Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Where to start, lost looking for help
bryanb1980 posted:
Me and my wife have been addicted to pain killers for about a year and a half. We have tried a few times to quit on our own and have never been able to do it. I have scoured the internet looking for the right way to get help and haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for. Is a methadone clinic the right way to quit? We have tried to quit cold turkey but the physical withdrawl symptoms are simply too much to handle when we each have to go to work among other responsibilities. We need professional help, but from where? If a methadone clinic is the right step we are willing to take it. We are more than willing to attend counseling or talk to a doctor but it seems like detoxification should be our first priority and we are lost on trying to find the proper solution. Can anyone help us?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bryan,

I'm sure one of our experts will be responding and perhaps others as well. In the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here. I'm glad you're reaching out for help.
Kayap responded:

Look for an addiction specialist in your area. An MD who specializes in addiction medicine. This is the first step. He or she will be able to assist you with the proper steps to take. It may be subutex that is prescribed. I recommend that you take special careful attention in finding a physician that comes with a high recommendation from other patients. You can find this information online. I also recommend that you look for someone who doesn't keep you on that medicine for a long period of time. And who keeps the dosage quite low. It can be a wonderful tool in getting the help you need but it is also addictive so one needs to be aware of this and tread carefully. Spend the extra money on a professional who is knowledgeable and competent. Many of these "clinics" are popping up and they are dangerous.
Take care and best of luck with your new sober life,
Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
You clearly define drug dependence in your note. This requires a medically supervised detoxification, followed by treatment, followed by aftercare monitoring in order to prevent relapse. I would strongly advise you consult a physician that is Board certified in addiction medicine. If that's not possible, I recommend you enter a treatment program capable of your detoxification needs - with a Board Certified Addiction Medicine physician on board - where both detoxification treatment and aftercare monitoring can be attended to. I wish you and your wife well and applaud your decision to share your concerns.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

Will smoking weed effect my everyday life and health due to my age?
I'm 14 and I've been smoking marijuana since I was 12 due to family problems&a family loss and my grades seem to me slowly going down ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.