Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Alcohol or something else?
Tenseven86 posted:
For some time I've had some major symptoms that seem to be getting worse. I'm 24 years old, I've experienced minor audio and visual hallucinations, hypersensitivity, sweating uncontrollably, major anxiety, I've tested my heart beat and counted 147 beats per minute on both my neck and wrist using a "check your own pulse" guide on this website. Sort of concerned, I've had these symptoms for a long time, but I've also been an alcoholic since I was about 18.. I'm sure the ER doesn't want to deal w/ another paranoid drunk.. not sure whether or not I should go to the ER. I also work very hard and sometimes feel very dizzy/short of breath at random, my gums also bleed very often and I usually wake up most mornings spitting out a pretty substantial amount of blood. I know this all sounds pretty bad/disgusting, but I do try to take care of myself as much as possible.. just not able to kick my drinking habit. Life is getting very hard for me.
Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
The emergency room is not the appropriate place for these chronic complaints. A good physical exam with bloodwork by a primary care physician is the place to start to rule out problems other than alcohol. In addition, starting a program like AA at the same time will indicate you are serious about needing and wanting help. I wish you well.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

SCIENCE OF ADDICTION While contemplating the objects of the senses, a person develops attachment for them. >STEP I: AVOID THE THOUGHT ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.